If you think an omelette is boring, think again! This recipe, which comes from our very good friend Maria Panieraki from the island of Crete, combines fresh ingredients to create a hearty omelette to be shared and enjoyed by the whole family!
It is not the traditional way to make a Sfouggato (Cretan Omelette), but it is a great version of this popular omelette.
5-6 medium sized potatoes
1 large onion
4-5 sprigs of fresh spearmint
A few ripe cherry tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1) Peel and cut the potatoes into chip size pieces and fry them. Add salt to taste.
2) Slice the onion and tomatoes and chop the fresh spearmint. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add salt to taste.
3) In a large bowl, add the chips, the onion and the spearmint and mix them well. Add the beaten eggs and stir well so that the eggs blend well with all the ingredients.
4) Place parchment paper to the bottom of a baking tray (this will make it easier to serve the omelette once baked). Pour in the egg mix and top it with the sliced cherry tomatoes.
5) Bake at 180C for 30 minutes. Serve immediately, after sprinkling freshly ground black pepper.